Sunday, April 26, 2009

Twitter


After spending a week in Mexico for Spring Break without watching TV, I was baffled by what I discovered when I returned to Dallas. I came home, turned on the news and immediately heard the word "Twitter." I had absolutely no idea what this new phenomenon was. On almost every TV channel someone was giving out their twitter address and talking about what they just posted on the site. Celebrities like Ashton Kutcher were even having "twitter" competitions with other celebrities to see who could get the most "followers." Not only are celebrities using Twitter, but also news channels like CNN are using the website to give brief, current updates about what's going on in the news.

Although I quickly discovered the new popularity of twitter, I was still very unclear about what the website was actually for and how it could have gained popularity so rapidly. I was very skeptical about bringing another Facebook or Myspace into the world, but it seemed as if something about twitter was different. I decided the only way to have my questions answered was to log onto twitter.com and create my own twitter page.

I found that twitter is very easy to use and can be almost addictive as Facebook. I like how twitter solely consists of brief updates about what someone is doing rather than another portal into someone's entire life story. Who knows, maybe when everyone decides to make a twitter page, Facebook could become a thing of the past. This new media phenomenon makes me wonder what will become of the "it" websites of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment