Monday, April 27, 2009

Mistaken Identity

It all started a few years ago when I was in Aspen, Colorado with my family. We were having dinner at a restaurant called Matsuhisa, when all of a sudden we began noticing that the people sitting at the table next to us couldn't stop staring over at our table. Not only were they staring, but they began pointing inconspicuously at my mom and faintly whispering, "look who it is! I can't believe she is sitting next to us!" By this point, we realize that they obviously think my mom is some sort of celebrity. We all think this is hilarious for a few minutes and then continue on with our dinner. Then, as soon as we stood up to get our coats and proceeded to walk out of the restaurant, the two women darted over and said, "we are so sorry to bother you, but can we please have your autograph? we love watching you on Nip/Tuck!" The funny thing is that no one in my family had seen Nip/Tuck, so we had absolutely no idea who the two women were talking about. However, this would not be the end of my mom's temporary "celebrity status."

Ever since then, people mistaking my mom for the mysterious "woman on Nip/Tuck" has become a regular occurrence, especially when we are on vacation. We found out from several people that the actress on Nip/Tuck everyone is referring to is Joely Richardson, who is the daughter of Tony Richardson and Vanessa Redgrave, and sister of Natasha Richardson, who died in a tragic ski accident in Canada last month.

It is funny how looks can be so deceiving. Just yesterday I was on the phone with my mom and she said she was out shopping and was stopped by a group of ladies thinking she was again, Joely Richardson. I always try to get her to play along. I guess she will need to work on her British accent first though...

No comments:

Post a Comment