Monday, April 27, 2009

Stereotypes

I have been asked the most hilarious question a couple of times when I have traveled to several cosmopolitan cities, like New York. When I have casually mentioned that I am from Dallas, Texas, a couple of people have asked me the question, "So do you ride a horse to school every day?" or, "How many cattle do you have on your ranch?" While I have to admit it's funny to think that these cosmopolitan creatures think that everyone from Texas is born wearing a ten-gallon hat, spurred boots, and is listening to the latest Toby Keith album, I can't help but think in the back of my mind about how seriously they take culturally-normalized stereotypes. It's no secret that the nationally renowned Texan stereotype resembles that of the common country music video: proud redneck livin' and workin' on the ranch, ridin' horses and herdin' cattle during the day and a country honky-tonk at night. But what worries me is the fact that these stereotypes can seriously mold their judgment and perception of an individual. Personally, I never try to allow myself to judge someone based on stereotypes.

I've always tried to actively show a genuine interest in people I meet for the first time, not only because I could always benefit from making new friends and acquaintances, but also because I would hope that person would want to treat me in the same manner should he/she be in my shoes. That's why I find all stereotypes, from seemingly harmless Texan judgments to racially-charged assumptions, to be a danger. Why? Because these stereotypes allow people to judge strangers before they can ever meet on an individual level, never allowing each other to break down those stereotypical, judgmental barriers and allow a true bond to form.

No comments:

Post a Comment