Sunday, April 26, 2009

Is age just a number?

How is high school going? ...This is a question I get asked on a regular basis. Even though I am almost 21, the majority of people who meet me don't believe that I am a day older than 15. My parents always tell me that one day I will look back on this period in my life with nostalgia and will relish in my youthful looks, however, at this point in time I am not so amused. I can't believe that last year, as a freshman in college, I went to a PG-13 movie and was carded. This especially bothered me when I was about 13 or 14 and would go out to eat with my best friend. She would always be handed the adult menu and I would be given the children's menu with a box of crayons (not to mention that I was several months older than she was).

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, whether or not I look my actual age is not that big of a deal. However, at this time in my life, age seems to be so important. It comes up as a topic of conversation at almost every gathering with my friends. In college, everyone is always trying to look older to get into the next best club or bar.

After reflecting on my situation, I do think it is funny that age perception is dependent on a person's surroundings. For instance, when I am with my family and my little sister, people always think that I am about 15. However, when I am with my friends, I typically get 21 or 22. "Age" is really just dependent on how you dress and how you act. This has made me realize that age is just a number. You can be 25 and have the behavior of a 10-year-old, or you can be 13 and appear to have the maturity of a 23-year-old. Overall, as much as I hate the fact that people are baffled by the fact that I could actually be 20-years-old and in college, it is fun to be able to pull off such a wide variety of ages. Who knows, I guess it will be nice to be "25" when all of my friends are 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment