Monday, April 27, 2009

"American Beauty"


Yesterday, when I was sitting outside studying, I was caught off guard by a plastic bag blowing in the wind. The bag circled around me flying up and down in the wind like a kite. This suddenly reminded me of a famous scene in the movie "American Beauty," in which one of the main characters films a plastic bag "dancing" in the wind for fifteen minutes. I always thought this was a profound scene in the film, however I never took the time to really experience it for myself. I sat and watched the bag skip about in the wind and realized how incredible even the most trivial and unimportant things in our world can be. Most people would consider a lone plastic bag from a local grocery store to be a piece of trash, but after gazing at for several minutes, it took on a different persona; it was almost as if it became a piece of art. It became one with the wind and allowed me to really observe the unique pattern of the wind. Amongst the stress of our fast-paced lives, it is always important to stop and appreciate the widely overlooked "beauties" in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment