Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wicked

There is something magical about broadway shows. The lights. The orchestra. The enchanting theater. The costumes. Everything. When i was little, I used to go to Fair Park Music Hall to see all of the shows. Of course the only ones I wanted to see were the Disney Shows like Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King (they are still two of my favorites). Not only would I watch the musical, I would also buy the broadway recorded version of the soundtrack and memorize every word (if I didn't know them already). I dreamed of being up on the stage one day; of course as a naive seven-year-old, I didn't realize that it requires actual talent to be on Broadway.

When I was 13, I went to New York for the first time with my parents and my little sister. I was thrilled about finally seeing a Broadway show on Broadway. What did we see? Beauty and the Beast of course! I wouldn't dare see anything else (even though this was at least the third time I had seen it). A few years later, I heard a lot of buzz about a new musical call "Wicked." Everyone who had seen it said that it was great so I decided to go see it when it came to Dallas. I absolutely loved it! It is by far my favorite musical of all time. Wicked is the first broadway show to exceed the Disney Shows on my list of my favorite musicals.

"Wicked" is based on a novel and is the untold story of the witches from "The Wizard of Oz." After seeing Wicked, you will never watch the Wizard of Oz in the same way. It ads so much to the story. I have seen it four times in Dallas and New York. For those of you who haven't seen it yet, it's a must see! Here is a preview of the musical...

No comments:

Post a Comment